About: A K-12 portal of over 200,000 digitized archival materials, including historical photographs, maps, and documents.
My role: Envisioned and then managed the creation, launch, and promotion of Calisphere. Managed ongoing operations and feature enhancements.
|Online Archive of California (OAC)
About: Aggregates and provides access to archival collections from 150+ cultural heritage institutions across California.
My role: Managed day-to-day operations that included supporting and expanding the contributor base and overseeing routine site upgrades and enhancements. In addition, managed a major site redesign.
|UC Image Service
About: An aggregation of over 1 million art and architecture images for use by UC faculty and students for classroom instruction.
My role: Directed user research with faculty and students to understand and define their needs and then identified a vendor solution to build a digital image collection for use in the classroom. Managed ongoing operations and collaborated with campus staff to increase content contributions.
EIFL annual report
EIFL online newsletter
While at the University of California, designed and/or conducted user research including focus groups sessions, interviews, usability testing, and online surveys that informed design decisions as well as defined future directions of services. See published article that describes these activities [PDF].
- Focus group sessions to determine and define future enhancements for two services: MyLibrary and SearchLight
- Conducted interviews with UC faculty and graduate students to gain a better understanding of their current use of digital images for instruction: UC Image service
- Usability testing for website redesigns: Online Archive of California (OAC), Melvyl Catalog, eScholarship Editions
- Online surveys to inform a major technical migration of UC’s library catalog, Melvyl; to gather user satisfaction of the California Digital Library (CDL) website, and to gather quantitative data about user preferences for category headings on the CDL site
Managed internal and external communications that reached audiences across California and internationally. See below and my published works + presentations.
Wrote news stories to highlight success stories and demonstrate the impact of programs. Selected items:
California Digital Library (CDL)
- Calisphere and iPods in the Classroom: New technology brings California history to life [read]
- Calisphere – Share it with your students! [read]
- Library of Congress, Internet Archive, and CDL Team Up with Middle and High Schools for Web Archiving Project [read]
- Calisphere’s new Themed Collection explores conquest and cultural exchange in Early California [read]
Electronic Information for Libraries (EIFL)
- EIFL Spotlight: Libraries lead the way providing tools for visually impaired students [read]
- Uganda joins as an EIFL partner country [read]
- Laos consortium organises training for over 800 end users [read]
- EIFL-FOSS regional seminar explores tools for libraries [read]
- Lithuania’s LMBA celebrates 10 years [read]
Edited case studies, feature stories, reports. Selected items:
- EIFL-FOSS case studies: Disability tools [PDF] and SubjectsPlus [PDF]
- EIFL-OA case studies: Malawi [PDF] and Poland [PDF]
- EIFL Spotlight on Open Access: EIFL open access advocacy grants deliver big results [read]